St Michael Catholic Cemetery Clare
With the establishment of the church in 1849 room was made available for a cemetery near the church, as was the custom at the time. An excellent example can be seen at the nearby St Barnabas Anglican Curch. Between 1848 and 1908 some 75 burials took place after which it was closed. From then on most Catholics were buried at the General Cemetery. However provision, and room, was made available at Sevenhill for those Catholics who wanted to be buried in a Catholic Cemetery.
The old cemetery has since been levelled and is now part of the grounds of St. Josephs School, established in 1869 by the Sisters of St Joseph, on Victoria Road. Several surviving headstones have been placed in a retaining wall in the school grounds.
Below are SOME of the headstones of the St Michael Catholic Cemetery at Clare. In an attempt to save as much space as possible and increase the speed of downloading, only part of the stone is displayed. Flinders Ranges Research has a full photograph of each of these, and many others as well.