The area which became known as Paisley, on the east bank of the River Murray opposite Blanchetown, was first taken up for pastoral purposes. On 19 April 1860 the Hundred of Paisley was proclaimed. Paisley was named after J.C. Paisley, secretary of Governor Sir R.G. MacDonnell. Paisley Ponds near Lake Eyre and Mount Paisley near Kingoonya were also named after him. Paisley himself owned land near Lake Wangary, which he later transferred to Governor MacDonnell.
On 25 January 1860 the Rev. J. Boyd, uncle of the bride John Warwick, late of Morphett Vale, married Martha, eldest daughter of W. Boyd at Paisley. Some of the early settlers in the area were employed as fire wood cutters for the river steamers. Sheep and wheat provided another source of income.
Advent Lutheran Church
During 1896/7 Pastor Peter Bonifacius Hoefner built the first Lutheran Church at Paisley. It was constructed of pug and pine, like many of the other early buildings at that time. In 1901, after Hoefner had left for Queensland, another, more substantial building was erected. It was completed and dedicated on 29 November 1903.
Carl Schulz was the first to be buried at the nearby cemetery in 1904. The remains of Maria Ernestine Kalms, who had died in 1899, were later relocated to this cemetery.
Below are SOME of the headstones of the Paisley Cemetery. In an attempt to save as much space as possible and increase the speed of downloading, only part of the stone is displayed. Flinders Ranges Research has a full photograph of each of these, and many others as well.