Peters Hill Cemetery
This site, about 5 kilometres east of Riverton, was originally settled by German migrants, many of whom lived in dugouts along the hillside until better facilities became available. Among them was Mrs Huppatz, who lived to be 101 and died in 1936. She is buried in the nearby Huppatz family cemetery.
Peters Hill was listed in 1846 but the origin of its name still creates some problems. According to some people it was named after Peter Inkster (1829-1917), an early settler. Others would say that it was named Petatz Hill, after Martin Petatz, a nearby property owner. Whatever the case may be, a school and church was erected in 1856. Among some of its trustees were Messrs Borack, Duldig, Noack, Petatz and Zollner (Zerna).
The land for the church and cemetery was donated by Christian Marschall in 1856. Marschall, his wife and ten children lived nearby. His hut, which has been restored is now used as an overnight shelter for walkers on the Heysen Trail. Several of their children are buried at the Peters Hill cemetery. Among them Maria Lydia, who died on 19 August 1863, Christian, 10 December 1865, Friedrich Albert, 26 February 1868, Friedrich Wilhelm, 17 September 1870 and Anna Lydia who died on 7 September 1876.
With the rapid expansion of the settlement it was decided to build a new church and school in 1864. This time they built them some two kilometres away on the plain. Although the school was destroyed by fire, the church, St Peter Lutheran Church, is still in use today, as is its cemetery behind the building.
See also Huppatz Cemetery.