Riverton Pioneers Garden Cemetery
The Pioneers Garden was established in 1956. Originally Consecrated as an Anglican Cemetery in 1855 on land donated by James Masters and C. Swinden. The first burial was that of John Glanville who died at Macaw Creek on 6 June 1855, aged 13 years. There are more than 100 children buried here under the age of 15 years but very few headstones were erected. The cemetery was closed on 23 September 1872. It was restored in 1956 to commemorate the pioneers who founded the district. The new cemetery, about 2 kilometres north of the town, was selected in 1870.
Below are SOME of the headstones of the Riverton Pioneers Garden Cemetery. In an attempt to save as much space as possible and increase the speed of downloading, only part of the stone is displayed. Flinders Ranges Research has a full photograph of each of these, and many others as well.